According to the current Constitution of Greece, the creation of private non-state higher educational institutions in the country is prohibited, so that all universities in the country are state. However, as a matter of fact, private schools still exist; they just act as non-accredited training centres.
Higher education in Greece can be obtained at universities with academic education (AEI) and in educational institutions with a technological education (TEI). In total, the country has 18 universities and 14 technical universities (we are talking about accredited educational institutions).
The most famous state universities are the Greek Open University, the National Athenian University. Kapodistriya, National Polytechnic University, University of Athens, University of Economics and Business, Aristotle, University of Social and Political Sciences. Pandio.
At the age of 22 full years and over, you can become a student of the Greek Open University as a result of the draw. That is, if you are lucky, you can go even with a minimum score.
In Greece, a two-stage general education system has been adopted in higher education. The first stage is completed by obtaining a bachelor's degree. Its duration - from 4 years in the faculties of the humanities and natural sciences, up to 6 years in medicine. The second stage - obtaining a master's degree - can be completed both in the Greek university and in any educational institution of another country under the corresponding program. In Greece, this requires a postgraduate education for 1 to 3 years.
Cost of Education for Foreigners in Greece
Public education in Greece is FREE, not only for the Greeks themselves, but also for foreigners. Entrance exams do not need to pass: to enrol the student at the chosen faculty is considered the average score of the certificate. That is, the better the assessment in school, the higher the probability of entering a more prestigious institution.
In Greece, you can apply for admission to 20 different faculties of different universities (you can less), attaching to the certificate their list. At the same time, if a student is short for one faculty, the applicant can be offered a substitute.
Foreign students in Greece are provided with: free accommodation, meals, educational literature, insurance, as well as benefits for travel on all types of transport and residence permits in Europe for the duration of study at the university. Due to this, the student has the right to work part-time in his free time.
Immigration and Visas in Greece
EU students are allowed to study a graduate program in Greece providing they fulfil the following criteria:
- They have a valid passport
- They are studying for more than three months at the institution
- They have sufficient income to support themselves during their studies
- Have comprehensive health insurance
In most cases, non-EU students will have to get a study visa in order to come and study in Greece. Some countries will offer this for free, but in almost all cases you should expect to have to meet Greek consular staff for an interview.
There are two main types of accommodation open to international students coming to Greece:
University accommodation – such as halls of residence
Private accommodation – House and flat rentals
Few universities in Greece offer student accommodation or residential facilities and numbers are limited at those that do. Consequently, many international students studying a graduate program in Greece will choose to rent private rooms and apartments. This is harder to organise, but will offer you greater freedom and privacy during your studies. An alternative option is to look for a homestay with a Greek family. This is a great way of improving your language skills and knowledge of Greek culture while studying abroad.
List of Universities in Greece
Technological Universities-Technological educational institutes
(Greek: Tεχνολογικά Πανεπιστήμια-Ανώτατα Τεχνολογικά Εκπαιδευτικά Ιδρύματα)
All the higher tertiary state-accredited technological educational institutes in Greece are public. They currently offer 4-year (full-time) undergraduate degree programs equivalent to Honours Bachelor's Degree (240 E.C.T.S ISCED 5A).
- Alexander Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki
- Technological Educational Institute of Piraeus
- School of Pedagogical and Technological Education
- Technological Educational Institute of Athens
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Greece (campuses: Amfissa, Cha
lkida, Karpenisi, Lamia, Thiva )
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia (campuses: Katerini,
- Technological Educational Institute of Crete (campuses: Heraklio, Cha
nia, Rethymno, Agios Nikolaos, Ierapetra, Sitia)
- Technological Educational Institute of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (campuses: Kavala, Dram
- Technological Educational Institute of Epirus (campuses: Arta, Ioanni
na, Preveza, Igoumenitsa)
- Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands (campuses: Lefkada, Ar
gostoli, Lixouri, Zakynthos)
- Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese (campuses: Kalamat
- Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly (campuses: Larissa, K
- Technological Educational Institute of Western Greece (campuses:Patras, Misso
longhi, Pyrgos, Aigio, Nafpakt os and Amaliada)
- Technological Educational Institute of Western Macedonia (campuses: Kozani, F
lorina, Kastoria, Grevena and Ptolemaida)
Universities and Technical Universities
(Greek: Πανεπιστήμια και Πολυτεχνεία)
All the higher Tertiary state-accredited universities in Greece are public. The duration of the undergraduate degree programs for most disciplines is 4 years (full-time). Programs in engineering, dentistry, pharmacology, agronomics, forestry, along with some programs in fine arts, have a duration of 5 years (240E.C.T.S - 300E.C.T.S ISCED 5A). Medicine is the only discipline with duration of studies of 6 years.
- Agricultural University of Athens
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (campuses: Thessa
- Athens School of Fine Arts
- Athens University of Economics and Business
- Democritus University of Thrace (campuses: Komotini, Xa
nthi, Alexandroupoli, Orestiad a)
- Harokopio University
- Hellenic Open University
- International Hellenic University
- Ionian University
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- National Technical University of Athens
- Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
- Technical University of Crete
- University of the Aegean (campuses: Mytilene, Ch
ios, Karlovasi, Rhodes, Ermoup oli, Myrina, Greece)
- University of Crete (campuses: Heraklio, Ret
- University of Ioannina
- University of Macedonia
- University of Patras (campuses: Patras, Agri
- University of Peloponnese (campuses: Tripoli
, Korinthos, Kalamata, Nafplio , Sparti)
- University of Piraeus
- University of Thessaly (campuses: Larissa, V
olos, Karditsa, Trikala, Lamia )
- University of Western Macedonia (campuses: Florina,
Academies and Schools
The following academies offer higher education with 4 years of studies and they are equivalent to the universities. They operate under different terms from the universities. Especially Hellenic Military Academy, Hellenic Naval Academy, Hellenic Air Force Academy are considered equivalent to the (civilian) universities since 1961 and their professors are elected with the same criteria. They have been called ASEI (ΑΣΕΙ, Ανώτατα Στρατιωτικά Εκπαιδευτικά Ιδρύματα) according a Law of 2003 and the election of their faculty members follow the same procedure as the (civilian) universities. After 2010, they run graduate programs on their own.
- Hellenic Military Academy
- Hellenic Naval Academy
- Hellenic Air Force Academy
- Hellenic Fire Academy
- Hellenic Police Academy
- Military Nursing School
- Military School of Corps Officers
- The following schools offer higher education with 4 years of studies and their graduates are equivalent to the graduates of technological educational institutes.
- Academy of Mercantile Marine
- The following schools offer higher education of up to 2 years of studies.
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Air Navigators
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Staff Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Technical Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Army School of Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Naval Academy of Petty Officers
- School of Chief Firemen
- School of Police Constables
- School of Tourism Education of Agios Nikolaos
- School of Tourism Education of Rhodes